Eid – the most awaited festival for Muslims is finally here. It is a reward for all those Muslims who followed the command of Allah ﷻ and fasted for a whole month while practicing patience, morality, regular prayers, giving alms. Allah as a reward granted Eid to those Muslims.
Fasting on the day of Eid is haram and eating good food, dressing nicely is sunnah. We often celebrate Eid according to our native places and cultures; that’s why a Muslim celebrating Eid in Indonesia has different customs and traditions than to a Latino celebrating it into Mexico.
But one thing remains common in both of them and that is the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad ﷺ and his etiquettes which is same in the life of every Muslim. But what are the Sunnah of Eid? How did Prophet ﷺ celebrate Eid Al-Fitr.
This article will tell you about the Eid of our Prophet Muhammad ﷺ and His Sunnah of Eid:
1. Making Dua on the night before Eid- Allah’s Messenger ﷺ said the dua made on the night before is not rejected. Allah accepts those dua and we should not miss this opportunity.
2. Ghusl before Eid Prayer- Doing Ghusl is a highly recommended Sunnah on the day of Eid and prayers should not be performed without doing ghusl.
Ibn ’Abbas narrated, ‘The Messenger of Allah (saw) used to have a bath on the day of Fitr’. [Ibn Majah] We should take care of cleanliness and perform Ghusl to make this day more cheerful.
3. Eating something sweet before prayers- Our Prophet ﷺ used to eat odd number of dates before going to perform Eid prayers. We should also eat something sweet or dates before setting off to pray.
4. Paying Zakat Al-Fitr- This is a kind of alms to be paid before praying the Eid Salah. It must be paid any time before Eid. This is a kind of sadaqah for the fasts that a Muslim kept. Since humans make error so paying this alm will perfect your sawm and make it eligible to be accepted by Allah.
It should be paid on behalf of every members of the family and it also helps those poor who can’t afford money.
5. Apply Perfume and Kohl- Prophet Muhammad ﷺ used to apply kuhl and attars on his body. We should apply kuhl and perfume on Eid.
6. Congratulating each other- Congratulating each other with ‘Eid Mubarak’ should be done. It was narrated by Jubayr ibn Nufayr (ra), that the Sahabah (ra) used to greet each other on the day of Eid with: ‘Taqabbal Allaahu Minnaa Wa Minka’ ,which means ‘May Allah accept (the fast and worship) from us and from you’. (Fathul-Bari)
7. Reciting Takbeer- Reciting takbeer on the way to the mosque is to be done. ‘Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar. La Ilaaha Illallahu Wallahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar wa Lillahil Hamd’
Routes to Salah- As narrated by Jabir bin Abdullah, ‘On the Day of Eid, the Prophet (saw) used to return after offering the Eid prayer through a way different from that by which he went’. (Bukhari)\
As Prophet Muhammad ﷺ used to follow different routes for going mosque and coming back.
These are the few basic Sunnah of Eid and some of the etiquettes of Prophet Muhammad ﷺ on the day of Eid. With all the blessings and dua, we wish you a very bright and charming Eid. Eid Mubarak J